Sunday, August 30, 2009

Been Awhile

Yea yea yea, I hear ya. Things have been crazy the past 6 months so I have had no time. First off, the computer crashed and we built a new one. Lost everything of course so then we had to start from square one. Then we have the normal craziness of 4 children, work, school, cleaning, and everything else that our crazy life entails which just takes up some time. I will get to work on some more updates and lots of news but first I need to get this out there.
Our beautiful son Gabriel has been diagnosed with Apraxia. He has been receiving speech therapy since last September and is making great strides in communication. We have been working extensively with him on a daily basis and finally a few months ago he said "Mama" for the first time (in fact his baby sister said it first) and I cried so hard. Nothing is sweeter especially when you have waited and worked so hard to hear it.
Now for those that don't have the time to check out the website, Apraxia is more than just a speech delay. It is a medical condition that prevents the child from expressing himself verbally. Gabriel can understand (receptive language) and follow commands like any other child, he can not tell you his wants/needs/feelings (expressive language) verbally. For more information you can go to http://www.apraxia-kids.org/.
Currently Gabriel is receiving his therapy at home, come September he will be starting head start and receive his therapy there. We are also hoping to add in an extra therapy session each week somehow. He is learning sign language as are some of our family so they can help him. He gets extremely frustrated because he can not tell us what he wants to. Someday he will hopefully be able to speak like anyone else. Until then we make accommodations and do everything in our power to help him.
That is all for now. I just want to educate as many people as possible about this and hopefully as we raise awareness, these children with find their voice!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home